On Thursday, the South Korean paper Yonhap reported that Washington is considering lifting sanctions in return for North Korean denuclearisation. Yonhap cited an anonymous source close to the White House, who said that the US is specifically exploring the option of lifting sanctions on NK coal and textile exports for a period of 12-18 months as long as North Korea agrees to dismantle the Yongbyon nuclear facility and freeze their entire nuclear programme. It was reported that the offer would “snap back” in the case that North Korea fails to abide by the terms in any way. With the failure of the Hanoi talks back in February, in which Trump walked out after Kim pushed for the removal of almost all sanctions in return for Yongbyon dismantlement, Washington is eager to start making progress in NK-US talks again, says the White House source - even if this means making several concessions. Consequently, the US is considering a number of other options, including setting up liaison offices in each others’ capitals, setting up an office to coordinate the recovery of American troops’ remains from North Korea, and signing a declaration to officially end the 1950-53 Korean War.
Hump Day 🐫 Here is your daily rundown:
1. Abigail Disney, family heiress to #Disneyland, #filmmaker and #activist, says she was prompted to take a secret trip to the park after an employee messaged her on Facebook. She was shocked at the working conditions that low-paid park workers described. After her trip, she called on Disney CEO Bob Iger to address the pay inequity between him and the average Disney worker.
2. The state of #Baltimore will no longer offer police brutality settlements with gag orders. This decision was sparked back in 2012 when Baltimore resident Ashley Overbey accused three officers of beating her after she reported a burglary in her home. She sued and ended up settling for $63,000 but the settlement included a gag order which had a non-disparagement clause.
3. The State Department has sanctioned four top #Myanmar military officials for human rights abuses. The move was in response to the ongoing humanitarian crisis involving the country's #Rohingya population. If you'll recall, the Rohingya are a stateless Muslim ethnic group that have been subject to extreme #discrimination and #violence.
4. Outrage over President Trump's racist #tweets about four #Democratic#congresswomen has reached a fever pitch. In a dramatic session last night that involved gavel-throwing by a frustrated Democratic representative and harsh words from Speaker Nancy Pelosi, the House voted to officially condemn Trump's language. Four Republicans and one independent voted for the official denunciation.
5. Planned Parenthood's president has been ousted after less than a year on the job. Dr. Leana Wen hinted in a #Facebook statement that she was pushed out because of differing opinions on how to present the issue of abortion to the public.
I often have really bad nightmares. I dream very vividly so it’s no fun. Last night I had a terrifying nightmare. Won’t describe it - but it was the worst one I think I’ve ever had by far. And the worst is that some people right now in the world’s reality is just what my nightmare depicted last night. All it takes for evil to abound is good people to stay silent. When I woke up, I said a prayer to calm down and the line “where troubles melt like lemon drops” from somewhere over the rainbow came to my mind. If we were all to treat people as children Of God, respect and learn from our differences, speak up and say something about how our countries are being managed, just lift where we stand and love the people in our direct sphere of influence- the world might actually become a place where troubles melt like lemon drops. ❤️ I know its easier to tune out the bad and just go along with our lives- but the opposite of love is not hate- the opposite is Apathy. Good people staying silent is deadly. Anyway. Just wanted to do anything in my power to remind anyone in my sphere of influence to be kind today, get up to date on current events and find some way you can make the world a little brighter today. ❤️❤️❤️ #wakeup#dosomething#benice#currentevents#love#liftwhereyoustand#service#loveoneanother